Nylon 6.6 is a polyamide fiber. It is one of the important manmade textile fibers among the other synthetic fiber. This fiber is also called as polyamide 6.6. The chemical name of the nylon 6.6 is Polyhexamethylene-Adipamide.
Nylon is the first synthetic fiber of the world. Nylon is a strong fiber. It has enough ability to protect friction. It is generally used for make socks and other textile products. This also used as the rope for bind other things.
Physical Properties of Nylon 6.6: Nylon 6.6 is a strong fiber for this reason it is used for heavy purpose to carry heavy materials. The physical properties of nylon 6.6 are given below.
- Tenacity: 4.5 – 8.5 gm/den
- Density: 1.14 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: Very good
- Elasticity: Very good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 4.0%
- Resiliency: Good
- Melting point: 2500C
- Ability to protest friction: Excellent
- Color: White or cream
- Light reflection ability: It can protect up to 1500C temperature.
- Lusture: Bright to light
Chemical Properties of Nylon 6.6: Nylon 6.6 is not so strong with the chemical action. The chemical properties of nylon 6.6 are given below.
- Acids: Nylon 6.6 is not stable with the acidic action.
- Basic: nylon 6.6 has enough ability to protect the action of alkali.
- Effect of bleaching: Strong oxidizing agent causes harm to the nylon 6.6.
- Organic solvent: It becomes soluble in formic acid, sulphuric acid and phenol.
- Protection ability against mildew: It does not affected by mildew.
- Protection ability against insects: It may affected by insects.
- Dyes: Direct dyes, Acid dyes, Vat dyes are suitable for dye the nylon 6.6.
Nylon 6.6 is very important for its application in our daily chores. Day by day the uses of nylon increases rapidly. It is important as polyester fiber. The manufacturing process of manmade fiber is near similar as nylon 6.6. I will write about the production process of nylon 6.6 in one of my next blog.
So, we should be careful about the properties of nylon 6.6.