Nylon 6.6 is a polyamide fiber. Truly, it is one of the most important manmade textile fibers among the other synthetic fiber. This fiber is also called polyamide 6.6. Basically, the chemical name of nylon 6.6 is Polyhexamethylene-Adipamide.
Nylon is the first synthetic fiber in the world also it is a strong fiber. Moreover, it has enough ability to protect against friction. Generally, it uses for making socks and other textile products. Also, it uses as a rope to bind other things.
Physical Properties of Nylon 6.6:
Nylon 6.6 is a strong fiber therefore it uses for heavy purposes to carry heavy materials. However, nylon 6.6 has some physical properties. The following are the physical properties of nylon 6.6. They are-
- Tenacity: 4.5 – 8.5 gm/den
- Density: 1.14 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: Very good
- Elasticity: Very good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 4.0%
- Resiliency: Good
- Melting point: 2500C
- Ability to protest friction: Excellent
- Color: White or cream
- Light reflection ability: It can protect up to 1500C temperature.
- Lusture: Bright to light
Chemical Properties of Nylon 6.6:
- Acids: Nylon 6.6 is not stable with the acidic action.
- Basic: nylon 6.6 has enough ability to protect the action of alkali.
- Effect of bleaching: Strong oxidizing agent causes harm to the nylon 6.6.
- Organic solvent: It becomes soluble in formic acid, sulphuric acid and phenol.
- Protection ability against mildew: It does not affected by mildew.
- Protection ability against insects: It may affected by insects.
- Dyes: Direct dyes, Acid dyes, Vat dyes are suitable for dye the nylon 6.6.
In sum, nylon 6.6 is very important for its application in our daily chores. Day by day the use of nylon increases rapidly. Besides, it is important as polyester fiber. The manufacturing process of manmade fiber is near similar to nylon 6.6. I will write about the production process of nylon 6.6 in one of my next blogs.
So, we should be careful about the properties of nylon 6.6.