Hemp is a bast fiber plant like jute, kenaf, flax, and ramie. It is also a cellulosic fiber. Hemp fibers are significantly one of the strongest and most durable among all the natural textile fibers. Additionally, hemp fiber shows similar properties to all of the natural bast fiber and excels in fiber length, durability, strength, absorbency, mildew, and anti-microbial properties. Hence, various types of decorative textile products produce from this fiber. It uses to blend with other fibers and gives extra strength to the fiber.
Physical Properties of Hemp:
Hemp cultivation is increasing day by day for its tremendous properties indeed. The following are the physical properties of hemp fibers. They are-
- Color: The color of hemp fiber is yellowish grey to deep brown.
- Length: Its length is 4 to 6.5% feet.
- Tensile Strength: Hemp is a very strong fiber so far.
- Elongation at break: Hemp fibers stress easily.
- Elastic Recovery: Elastic recovery is very poor. It is less than linen fiber.
- Moisture Regain (MR %): Standard moisture regain of hemp is 12%. It is more than cotton and linen.
- Effect of Heat: In addition, hemp fiber has an excellent resistance to degradation by heat.
- Effect of Sun Light: Also, it has enough ability to prevent the bad affect of sun light.
- Luster: Finally, highly bright in luster like linen fiber.
Chemical Properties of Hemp fiber:
Hemp is a natural bast fiber and it has some chemical properties. Following are the chemical properties of hemp fiber. They are-
- Effect of Acids: In the first place, hemp is attacked by hot dilute acids or cold concentrated acids which it disintegrates. Hemp fiber destructe like cotton fiber in the action of acid too.
- Effects of Alkalis: Hemp fiber has an excellent resistance to alkalis.
- Effect of Organic Solvent: It does not affected by the organic solvents.
- Effects of Insects: Hemp fiber is not attacked by moth-grubs or beetles.
- Effect of Micro Organism: Hemp fiber is attacked by fungi and bacteria. When mildews will feed on hemp fabric, rotting and weakling the materials. Mildews and bacteria will flourish on hemp under hot and humid condition. They can be protected by impregnation with certain types of chemicals. Copper Nepthenate is one of the chemical.
- Ability to Dye: It is not suitable to dye the hemp fiber.
In sum, hemp is a strong fiber for this reason the product from hemp is also strong.