Sizing is important for weaving but if the process does not done with proper accuracy then every things will be hampered. For this reason a textile engineer should be very careful during sizing operation. Sizing is done for grey or stripped fabric production. In denim; sizing is done after scouring, bleaching and dyeing process.
Requirements of sizing: A sizing process should fulfill the following requirements, which is important for fabric production.
- Sized warp must be sufficiently strong, smooth and elastic.
- The sizing process must ensure the application of the required amount of size on the yarn or the required size regain.
- The tension of warp yarn at sizing must be regular and constant all the time of warp unwinding from warp beam.
- Yarn strength and loss in elongation should be admitted limits.
- The package, i.e. the weavers beam produced must have cylindrical shape, necessary winding density and yarn strength.
- The sizing process must be efficient, economical and must ensure the production of high quality sized warp.
Choice of size ingredients: Different size ingredients have different characteristics which I have given in one of my blog. Choice of size ingredients are given below:
- The recipe should give the fewest breakage during weaving.
- It should give least amount of exfoliation.
- It should permit easy size removal in later operation.
- It should give good fabric characteristics.
- The recipe should be compatible with the machinery.
- The recipe should not cause any health hazard.
- The recipe should not cause any degradation of textile materials.
- It should be cheap but not necessarily.
- PH should lie between 7 to 7.4.
So, that’s all about requirements of sizing and choice of size ingredients.