Sizing is the most important terms for weaving technology. After winding and warping, sizing of yarn is done during beam preparation. Sizing is done by applying various types of size materials on the yarn. During application of size materials steam is needed.
Sizing is a protective process. The process of applying a protective adhesive coating upon the yarns surface is called sizing. This is the most important operation to attain maximum weaving efficiency especially for blended and filament yarns. Sizing is called the heart of weaving.
Purpose of sizing: Sizing is done during beam preparation for getting some advantage of weaving. Sizing has lots of objects which are given below:
- To improve the weave ability of warp yarn by making it more resistance to action of weaving like absorption, friction, tension etc.
- To maintaining good fabric quality by reducing hairiness, weakness and by increasing smoothness and absorbency of yarn.
- Tensile or breaking strength of cellulosic yarn is increased by sizing.
- Elasticity of the yarn is also increased.
- By adding size materials, yarn weight is increased.
- To increase the frictional resistance.
- Projected fibers are removed by this process.
- To reduce electrostatic formation.
Properties of sized yarn: Generally size ingredients are used for warp yarn but sometimes it applies on weft yarn. Anyhow, by applying size ingredients on the yarn, following properties are obtained. Properties of sized yarns are given below:
- Higher elasticity
- Higher yarn strength
- Lower flexibility
- Lower extension or elongation
- Lower frictional resistance
- Increased smoothness
- Less weakness
- Insensible to over drying
- Less hairiness
So, size ingredients change the physical properties of cellulosic fibers which is used for making a weavers beam.