Polyester is a very important manmade fiber. Polyester is produced with a long chain synthetic polymer with ester. Polyester is produced by melt spinning process. Here, I have given physical and chemical properties of polyester fiber which is important to know.
Physical Properties of Polyester: Like cotton or other fiber, polyester fiber consists of some important physical properties. Important physical properties of polyester are given below.
- Tenacity: 5 – 7 gm/den
- Elongation at break: 15 – 30%
- Elastic modulus: 90
- Elasticity: Good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 0.40%
- Specific Gravity: 1.38
- Melting point: 2500C
- Volumetric Swelling: None
- Ability to protest friction: Excellent
- Color: White
- Light reflection ability: Good
- Lusture: Bright
Chemical Properties of Polyester: Various types of chemical properties of polyester fiber are given below:
- Acids: Good resistance to acids in cold condition. But polyester degrades by H2SO4 at high temperature.
- Basic: Good resistance to basic in cold condition but Strong NaOH dissolves polyester in boiling.
- Effect of bleaching: Polyester does not affected by bleaching process.
- Organic solvent: Organic solvent does not affect on polyester fiber.
- Protection ability against mildew: Good
- Protection ability against insects: Good
- Dyes: Polyester could be dye with disperse, azoic color and some pigments.
- Solvents of polyester: Following are the solvents of polyester:
- Chlorinated hydrocarbon.
- Phenol (in hot condition)
So, during processing of polyester, we have to consider the physical and chemical properties of polyester.