Carbon fiber is an important textile fiber. Carbon fiber is the oldest type of manmade fiber. At first, Carbon fiber was invented in 1850. Carbon fiber was used as the filament of lamps in 1880. It was continued up to 1907. Carbon is insoluble all the time. In modern times, carbon fiber is used in the cover of aircraft, space rockets. Carbon is also used for non-flame-able cloth manufacturing. It is an important technical textile fiber.
Physical Properties of Carbon Fiber:
The following are the physical properties of carbon fiber. They are-
- Tenacity: 1.8 – 2.4 (KN/mm2 )
- Density: 1.95 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: 0.5%
- Elasticity: Not good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 0%
- Resiliency: Not Good
- Ability to protest friction: Good
- Color: Black
- Ability to protest Heat: Good
- Lusture: Like silky
Chemical Properties of Carbon Fiber:
The following are the chemical properties of carbon fiber. They are-
- Effect of bleaching: Sodium Hypochlorite slightly oxidized carbon fiber.
- Effect of Sun Light: Do not change carbon fiber.
- Protection against flame: Excellent
- Protection ability against insects: Do not harm to carbon fiber.
That’s all about the physical and chemical properties of carbon fiber.
1 thought on “Physical And Chemical Properties Of Carbon Fiber”