Cotton yarns are the most produced yarn in the world. There are various types of cotton yarns are produced by different spinning machines. Mainly cotton yarns are divided into three types carded, combed and rotor yarn depending on the manufacturing techniques. Each has its own characteristics. These characteristics vary according to the construction and treatment are given in the manufacture of the yarn.
Cotton is a cellulosic natural fibre. Additionally, cotton comes from cotton plants when it grows in many countries including America, India, Egypt and others. Moreover, cotton is a seed fibre. Even more, cotton fibres convert into yarn through various processes such as spinning, weaving, dyeing and wet processing. Besides, it uses to produce colourful threads, colourful fabrics, and blended fabrics with polyester, lycra and other textile fibre.
Figure: Cotton Yarn
Types of Cotton Yarn Produced in Spinning Mills:
In a spinning mill; various types of cotton yarns are produced from the cotton fibre. Followings are the most common cotton yarn types. They are-
- Fly Yarn
- Cabled Yarn
- Doubled Yarn
- Novelty Yarn
- Slub Yarn
- Flake Yarn
- Spiral Yarn
- Ratine Yarn
- Loop or Curl Yarn
- Knot or Spot Yarn
- Chenille yarn
Uses of Cotton Yarn:
The key use of cotton yarn is in woven and knitted fabrics manufacturing. Hence, cotton yarn uses in clothing, homemade-up, and in various applications of other industries. In the meantime, the use of cotton fabrics depends on the applications. The following is the most common uses of cotton yarn. They are-
Clothes and Garments Industry:
- Firstly, Cotton yarns use to produce different clothing items and fabrics. Also, cotton threads use to stitching garments items.
- Secondly, it use to make denim products.
- Thirdly, all types of garments from jacket to t-shirt, activewear, yoga wear, sportswear, others are made from cotton yarn.
- Then, it use to making fine fabrics like Maslin.
- It uses to making cotton saree as well as khadi fabrics.
- Another use of cotton yarn as ropes.
- After that, use to making sewing threads.
- Lastly, cotton yarn use to make cotton blended fabrics.
Home Furnishing Products
- Firstly, Cotton yarn uses for making bed sheets, curtains and other made ups.
- Secondly, cotton uses to making bed linens, pillow covers, duvet covers, quilts due to the softness properties.
- Then, it use to making towels, bath robes and, bathroom rugs.
- At last, it uses to making cotton carpet, foot mat, hall mat and others.
- Firstly, cotton yarn use to making cloth bags, seed bags, as well as packaging material.
- Secondly, high-quality diapers for babies and baby wipes are made by cotton yarn.
- Thirdly, cotton clothes is used in book binding.
- Then, it uses to making mosquito nets.
- After that, cotton fabric uses in beauty and makeup parlors and saloons.
- Cotton yarn also uses to making canvases which are later used for making arts (painting).
Chiefly, above are the most common uses of cotton yarn. Overall, cotton yarn uses for making woven and knitted fabrics which are used for making different apparel in the manufacturing unit.
It is true that cotton yarns are mostly used in our everyday life.