The presser foot is an important sewing machine component in garment making. When it uses for controlling the movement of materials during sewing. We know that sewing is done by the stitching of a needle which is completed with the assistance of a feed dog and throat plate significantly. In fact, it needs to keep the fabric under control which is done by the presser foot during the sewing operation.
Figure: Features And Basic Functions Of Presser Foot Of A Sewing Machine
A presser foot basically keeps the fabric flat therefore it does not rise and fall with the needle and pucker as it is stitched. Hence, the presser foot is typically spring-hinged to facilitate some flexibility as the workpiece moves beneath it. The presser feet have two toes such as one to hold the fabric down on either side of the needle.
Features of Presser Foot:
The following are the mechanical description of the presser foot. They are-
- Firsty, in the sewing machine; presser foot is attached to the presser foot bar.
- Secondly, presser foot are two types, they are – single presser foot and double presser foot.
- Lastly, fabric guides or folders may be used with the presser foot for special purposes.
Basic Functions of Presser Foot:
The Presser’s foot is used for some basic needs. The following are the basic functions of the presser foot. They are –
- Firstly, presser foot has an adjustable spring loaded pressure by which it holds the materials.
- Secondly, presser foot keeps the material under control during sewing.
- Lastly, it helps the operator for regular seaming, piping edges, tape binding etc.
In sum, different sewing machine manufacturer makes the sewing components which is available in the market. So, if any component of the sewing machine parts breaks down or destroys you can buy one from the nearest shop. In addition, you have to be careful about the adjustment of the machine parts with that’s specific machine during buy.
So, that’s all about presser foot and their features as well as basic functions.