Pressing Or Ironing
Pressing or ironing is one of the most important tasks in the finishing section of readymade garments. When it gives the final finishing appearance to the apparel. After that, the apparels are ready for packing. Besides, pressing terms such as ironing in the apparel manufacturing industries. Basically, pressing is done by subjecting a cloth to heat and pressure with or without steam to remove unwanted creases and to impart a flat appearance to the apparel. Pressing or ironing also applies to introduce creases in the clothes.
Techniques of Pressing Operations in Finishing Section:
Various types of operations are done in the finishing section. Pressing is done in the following way.
- Pressing means shaping the apparels.
- It is affected by the application of heat and pressure for certain time.
- Steam, compressed air and suction can assist the process.
- The setting effect is fixed by cooling.
Types of Pressing in Apparel Industry:
Pressing operations are important for the finishing section of the garment industry. Therefore, there are two types of pressing or ironing in the finishing section. They are –
Operating performs on apparels parts during making up. Moreover, under pressing requires to give minimum ironing to some parts of garments before sewing to complete sewing easily and beautifully. Besides, most of the apparel industries apply under pressing for making a coat, jackets, trousers, and others.
Top or final pressing:
Final pressing operations are done on the fully assembled apparel. In fact, special types of pressing machines are used for applying final pressing. Overall, the final pressing is used to apply heat and pressure to the garments. This is usually applied in a jacket, trousers, skirt and so on.
Besides, the following three terms also apply to the classification of pressing. They are-
- No Pressing: Generally, knitted fabric types do not need pressing such as underwear, briefs, swimwear.
- Minimum Pressing: Minimum finishing is done by applying heat but no need for pressure when garments are pressed by steaming and by flowing dry air these fabrics are such as nightgowns, knitted T-shirts, Loungewear, and so on.
- Permanent Pressing: Permanent pressing is done by applying high temperature and steam besides sometimes there is needed for pressure. However, it is a special type of pressing process when it apply to retain the shape of garment or special conditions.
In sum, a huge number of individual processes involve both Types. In fact, the cloth, quality, and design of the garment determine their extent.
Objectives of Pressing or Ironing Process in the Apparel Industry:
There are lots of objectives for pressing in the finishing section. Chiefly, improving the outer appearance of the garments is the main object of pressing in the apparel industry. The following are the most common objectives of pressing in the finishing section. They are-
- Firstly, pressing applies to remove unwanted creases and wrinkles from the garment because creasing occurs in garments due to operator’s handling and for tying up apparels tightly in boxes during garments manufacturing.
- Secondly it use to hiding imperfections such as puckered seam and neps.
- Thirdly, pressing operation perform to apply creases where necessary.
- After that, it use to make darts and seam more attractive, this pressing refers as shaping.
- Then, it use to sewing easily and properly some parts of garments before sewing.
- Lastly, pressing use to give glossy and silky appearance to the garments.
So, pressing plays an important role in apparel manufacturing. However, different types of pressing equipment are used for pressing or ironing in the apparel industry.
1 thought on “Pressing Or Ironing In Finishing Section || Pressing Types In Apparel Industry”
What are the technical difference between under pressing and final pressing?