Filament yarn is another form of textile fiber besides staple fiber yarn. Technical textile is developed by technical fiber as well as technical yarn. Various types of technical yarns are developed by manufacturers. There have been many types of filament yarns that are developed for technical applications.
Types of Technical Filament Yarns:
Followings are the most used technical filament. They are –
- Aramid Filament Yarn: Nomex and Klever by Dupont.
- Glass Filament Yarn: E-glass, C-glass, S-glass.
- Carbon Filament Yarn
- HDPE Filament Yarn: Spectra, Dyneema, Tekmilon
- PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene)
- PBI (Polybenzimidazole)
- PBO (Polyphenylenebenzobisoxazole)
Properties Of Technical Filament Yarn:
In the above, I have written about various technical filament yarn names. However, the entire filament has not same characteristics. So it is required to know the specific characteristics of the filament yarn. The following are the properties of filament yarn. They are-
Properties of Aramid Filament Yarn:
- Aramid filament has high tenacity properties.
- It has high resistance to stretch, chemicals, and temperature.
Properties of Klever Yarn:
- Firstly, it is light in weight.
- Secondly, its fatigue is less.
- Lastly, it has damage resistance properties.
Properties of Nomex Yarn:
- It has high heat resistance properties.
Properties of Glass Filament Yarn:
- Firstly, it has high tenacity properties.
- Secondly, it is difficult to dye glass fiber.
- After that, it is brittle in nature.
- Lastly, it causes irritation.
Properties of Carbon Filament Yarn:
- It has a high tensile modulus.
- It is brittle in nature.
Properties of HDPE Filament Yarn:
HDPE means High-Density Poly Ethylene Filament yarn.
- Firstly, it has a very high specific modulus.
- Secondly, it is very high in tenacity.
- Thirdly, it has low elongation properties.
- Lastly, it has low fiber density.
Properties of PTFE Filament Yarn:
- Its chemical and thermal resistance is good.
- Low friction coefficient resistance is another characteristic of PTFE.
Properties of PBI Filament Yarn:
- Excellent thermal resistance and a good hand.
- It is used for the clothing of firefighters, fuel handlers, welders, and racing car drivers.
From the above, we see that technical filament yarn’s properties are higher than conventional yarn. Moreover, technical filament yarn uses for getting higher textile properties. Besides, technical yarn uses for specific purposes. The price of technical filament yarn is also higher than conventional yarn.