The needle is the key to sewing. Basically, sewing thread is passed through the needle. Moreover, different stitching is done by the needle. The faulty needle can also bring some fabric faults in the fabrics. The needle is different in size, particularly which is expressed by needle number. We also know needle types also differ depending on their end-use. Besides, a medical needle and garment sewing needle are not the same. So they have their own properties.
Construction Of A Sewing Needle
A basic needle has the following parts:
Now I will give a description of the construction of a sewing needle. In fact, this needle uses for garment sewing.
- Butt: Butt is the top of the needle. It is conical in shape. Its insertion into the needle bar or clamp.
- Shank: Shank is larger in diameter than the rest of the needle. This part can be cylindrical shape or flat in one side.
- Shoulder: Shoulder is the joining section between Shank and Blade.
- Blade: Blade is the longest section of the needle.
- Grooves: Grooves are divided into two parts. Long groove placed on one side of the needle and it protects the sewing thread. Short groove placed on the opposite side of the long groove.
- Eye: Eye is the caring section of sewing thread. Thread is passed through the needle eye. Eye shape is like an elliptical hole.
- Point: Needle is used for sewing of knit or woven fabrics. So, needle point should be for easy penetration of needle to the fabrics. This is shaped for easy penetration.
- Tip: It is the bottom point of a needle. It should be sharp for easy penetration.
So, needles should be sharper for better penetration through the fabrics.