9 09 2012
Physical And Chemical Properties Of Carbon Fiber
Carbon fiber is a important textile fiber. Carbon fiber is the oldest types of manmade fiber. At first, Carbon fiber was invented in 1850. Carbon fiber was used as the filament of lamp in 1880. It was continued up to 1907. Carbon is insoluble all the time. In the modern times, carbon fiber is used in cover of aircraft, space rocket. Carbon is also used for non-flame able cloth manufacturing.
Physical Properties of Carbon Fiber: The physical properties of carbon fiber are given below.
- Tenacity: 1.8 – 2.4 (KN/mm2 )
- Density: 1.95 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: 0.5%
- Elasticity: Not good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 0%
- Resiliency: Not Good
- Ability to protest friction: Good
- Color: Black
- Ability to protest Heat: Good
- Lusture: Like silky
Chemical Properties of Carbon Fiber: The chemical properties of carbon fiber are given below. They are as:
- Effect of bleaching: Sodium Hypochlorite slightly oxidized carbon fiber.
- Effect of Sun Light: Do not change carbon fiber.
- Protection against flame: Excellent
- Protection ability against insects: Do not harm to carbon fiber.
That’s all about physical and chemical properties of carbon fiber.