Needle is the key of sewing. Sewing thread is passed through the needle. Different stitching is done by the needle. Faulty needle can bring some fabric faults in the fabrics. Needle is different in size which is expressed by needle number. We also know needle types also differ depending on its end use. Medical needle and garment sewing needle is not same. So they have own properties.
A basic needle has the following parts:
Now I will give a description about the construction of needle. This needle is used for garment sewing.
- Butt: Butt is the top of the needle. It is conical in shape. Its insertion into the needle bar or clamp.
- Shank: Shank is larger in diameter than the rest of the needle. This part can be cylindrical shape or flat in one side.
- Shoulder: Shoulder is the joining section between Shank and Blade.
- Blade: Blade is the longest section of the needle.
- Grooves: Grooves are divided into two parts. Long groove placed on one side of the needle and it protects the sewing thread. Short groove placed on the opposite side of the long groove.
- Eye: Eye is the caring section of sewing thread. Thread is passed through the needle eye. Eye shape is like an elliptical hole.
- Point: Needle is used for sewing of knit or woven fabrics. So, needle point should be for easy penetration of needle to the fabrics. This is shaped for easy penetration.
- Tip: It is the bottom point of a needle. It should be sharp for easy penetration.
So, Needle should be sharper for better penetration through the fabrics.