What Is 5S System
5S is the modern lean manufacturing methodology for arranging your daily work in a fairway. It teaches to arrange all the materials in a scheduled way for comfort. 5S makes easy the searching methods. It helps to teach discipline. Discipline can help to succeed in life.
5S is a lean manufacturing methodology. It gives valuable business outcomes with other lean manufacturing methodologies such as kaizen, jidoka, heijunka, kanban, and poka-yoke. In Japan, Lean manufacturing organizational practices originated in the early to the mid-20th century, and American businesses adopted this system toward the late 20th century.
5S system stands for lean manufacturing methodology: Sorting (Seiri), Straightening (Seiton), Shining (Seiso), Standardizing (Seiketsu), Sustaining (Shitsuke). Here, I will describe 5S in detail in point. They are:-
Sorting stands for choosing necessary items for storing. The following steps are for the sorting system. They are:
- Firstly, it needs to eliminate all unnecessary tools, parts, and instructions.
- Secondly, man keeps only essential items and eliminate what is not require.
- Thirdly, sorting prioritizing things per requirements and keeping them in easily-accessible places.
- Finally, everything else is keep in store or discard.
Straightening or setting in order / stabilize (Seiton):
After sorting, straightening performing for keeping things in the right place. The following steps are for the Straightening system. They are:
- Firstly, straightening indicates that, there should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place.
- Secondly, the place for each item should be clearly labelled or demarcated in a sound manner.
- Finally, items should be arranged in a manner that promotes efficient work flow, with equipment used most often being the most easily accessible.
Shining or systematic cleaning (Seiso):
Systematic cleaning is the third step to clean the unwanted things from the workplace. Shining activities are:
- Firstly, shining is stand for keeping clean the workspace and all equipment, and keep it clean, tidy and organized.
- Secondly, shining is done at the end of each shift, clean the work area and be sure everything is restored to its place.
- Maintaining cleanliness should be part of the daily work – not an occasional activity initiated when things get too messy.
There should be a standard for doing the work. Standardizing is done as follow:
- Firstly, all work stations for a particular job should be identical.
- Secondly, all employees doing the same job should be able to work in any station with the same tools that are in the same location in every station.
- Finally, everyone should know exactly what his or her responsibilities are for adhering to the first 3 S’s.
Sustaining discipline or self-discipline (Shitsuke):
Sustaining is the last step to keep the manner for the long way.
- Firstly, sustaining action impliment for further continuity. Where 5S is a habit and is for continually improvment.
- Secondly, maintain and review standards.
- Thirdly, maintain focus on this new way and do not allow a gradual decline back to the old ways.
- While thinking about the new way, also be thinking about yet better ways.
So, there are lots of ways for improving your every workday. Managers should follow the modern methods for keeping improvement in daily life. Success will become in its way. We should try for better.