Matt weave is one of the derivatives of the plain weave. It is also known as hopsack or basket weave. We know plain weave has three derivatives, they are warp rib, weft rib, and matt rib. Matt weave fabric has a flexible and smooth surface than plain weave.
Features of Matt / Hopsack / Basket Weaves:
The following are features of matt weaves. They are-
- Firstly, a matt weave is heavier than a square fabric made from the same yarn, but the thickness will be the same.
- Secondly, the matt weave cloth has a greater resistance to tearing. It is partly because it has more threads per inch, but chiefly because the threads are in pairs.
- Thirdly, matt weave constructs by extending the plain weave both vertically and horizontally.
- Then, it is the combination of warp and weft rib.
- It has a loose structure and the smallest matt weave is 2 / 2 (2) (X) matt.
- Therefore, basketweaves tend to give smooth-surfaced fabrics.
- Lastly, matt weaves tend to give smooth surfaces and more flexible fabrics than plain weaves.
Types of Matt / Hopsack / Basket Weaves:
Matt’s rib is classified into four categories. They are-
- Regular Matt
- Irregular Matt
- Stitched Matt
- Fancy Matt
Here, I like to present the features of the above Matt weave.
Features Of Regular Matt Weave:
The following are the features of regular matt weaves. They are-
- Firstly, it is produced by the combination of regular warp and weft rib weave.
- Then, warp and weft are shown in the form of small equal-sized squares or rectangles.
- In this weave, warp and weft show themselves equally on the surface of both sides of the cloth.
Features Of Irregular Matt Weave:
The following are the features of irregular matt weaves. They are-
- Firstly, this weave produces unequal spaces in the cloth.
- Basically, it is produced by the combination of regular warp and weft rib weave.
Features Of Stitched Matt Weave:
The following are the features of stitched matt weaves. They are-
- Firstly, the stitch is used in this weave to avoid the looseness of yarn in the fabric.
- Secondly, its uses to produce a firm cloth with a lower setting, the center ends in each square can be stitched.
- In stitched matt, the stitching thread is hidden by the neighboring threads.
- In the warp face, the central warp yarn goes down
- lastly, in the weft face, the central warp yarn comes up.
Features Of Fancy Matt Weave:
The following are the features of fancy matt weaves. They are-
- Usually, it is produced by combining matt, warp, and weft ribs.
- Lastly, in the fancy matt, the stitching threads are not hidden, they are visible.
So, that’s all about the features of matt weave and its derivatives.
Uses Of Matt / Hopsack / Basket Weaves
The following are the uses of Matt / Hopsack / Basket Weaves. They are-
- Matt weave is used to make dress materials,
- Duck cloth, etc.
In sum, matt weave has a lot of variety in its structure.