Warp rib and weft rib is the derivatives of the plain weave. This warp and weft rib also can be classified into regular and irregular ribs. There are differences in the structure of the fabric. So, we need to know the characteristics of the warp and weft rib of the plain weave.
Characteristics of Warp Rib:
Plain warp rib weave has some characteristics. The following are the characteristics of warp rib. They are-
- Firstly, it produces ribs or cords in the weft direction.
- Secondly, warp yarn is finer than weft yarn.
- If the number of ends is more than the number of picks in a unit space, then yarn of same count may be used.
- Two or more weft yarns pass over or under a warp instead.
- After that, weft yarns are low twisted yarn for warp rib production.
- Then, two heald shafts are used for producing the design.
- Generally, mercerized yarns are used.
- Lastly, it is normally used in warp faced construction, such as Poplin fabric.
In sum, above all are the most common characteristics of warp rib.
Regular And Irregular Warp Rib:
Warp ribs are two types. They are-
- Regular warp rib: It shows regular appearance in the fabric. Basically, it uses as grosgrain cloth, mattress cloth etc.
- Irregular warp rib: It produce irregular appearance in the fabric. It also use to produce grosgrain cloth, mattress cloth etc.
In the above figure, we find that, the difference between the regular warp rib and the irregular warp rib. Identically, the number of warp yarn is the same for each line in the regular warp rib, but the number of warp yarn is not same in the each line and it alters in the next picks. Moreover, this type of structure creates the floating characteristics of the fabric. As a result, fabrics become more comfortable than the basic plain weave cloth.
So, warp rib plays an important role in knitted fabric production.