Table of Contents
Sateen fabric is made with a weft-faced structure. However, its property shows that the front side is smooth and the back is rough and dense. Sateen weave is the third basic weave among all of the basic weaves or designs. It is not as commonly used as plain or twill weave. It is used for special purposes. Generally, lace is produced by this sateen weave. There are other types of sateen weave that as satin, its properties are also the same as sateen weave but there have some differences in the structure. Let’s see the properties of sateen weave.
Properties of Sateen Weave
The following are the main characteristics of sateen weave. They are-
- Firstly, the main characteristic of sateen weave is that; the face side of the fabric is very smooth and glossy.
- Only one interlacement is happened between each warp and each weft, for this reason, it is very glossy.
- Therefore, the interlacement point is covered with adjacent long float yarn.
- In sateen weave, no twill direction is formed on the fabric surface.
- Basically, no. of the cross mark or base mark is equal to the no. of threads in repeat in its structure.
- Sateen weave is a comparatively looser structure than plain and twill weave.
- Lastly, it is widely used to produce the jacquard design.
Types of Sateen Weave
Sateen weaves are of two types. They are-
- Warp Sateen
- Weft Sateen
If the float of warp yarn is more on the face side, then it is called warp sateen. I.e., 5/1 warp sateen; it is also called 5 ends sateen.
Warp sateen is also divided into two types. They are-
- Regular warp sateen
- Irregular warp sateen
If the float of weft yarn is more on the face side of the fabric, then it is called weft sateen. I.e. 1/5 sateen weave.
Weft sateen is also divided into two types. They are-
- Regular weft sateen
- Irregular weft sateen
Advantages of Sateen Fabric Uses
The following are the advantages of using sateen fabric: They are-
- Firstly, sateen fabric has great breathability properties. As a result, clothes made from cotton sateen maintain a comfortable body temperature.
- Secondly, its front-side characteristics have a smooth and silky surface that gives it a glossy surface.
- Thirdly, it has great durability properties. However, it keeps its original color for a long time, even after many machine washes.
- Basically, it has excellent softness properties.
- After that, it is popular for its hypoallergenic properties.
- Lastly, it has wrinkle-resistance properties.
Uses of Sateen Weave
Sateen weave fabric has a wrinkle resistance property, and it is used for different purposes in our daily lives. The following are the most common uses of sateen weave: They are-
- Firstly, sateen fabric is commonly used in clothing such as men’s boxer shorts, briefs, shirts, neckties, baseball jackets, women’s lingerie, athletic shorts, nightgowns, blouses, evening gowns, and some other cases.
- Secondly, these weaves are used in the production of pointe shoes for use in ballet.
- It is also used to produce interior furnishing fabrics, upholstery, and bedsheets.
- Different elegant dresses or suits are also made with this weave.
- Sateen weave is mostly used for lace production.
So, that’s all about sateen weave and its classification.
I’m a textile engineer who loves sharing industry insights on my blog. If you need backlinks or articles, I’m your go-to person. I write engaging content about textile technology and industry trends. Let’s collaborate to showcase the latest innovations and drive the conversation forward.