The Sewing machine is used to apply stitch in the apparel. Various types of stitching are done by the sewing machine. Depending on the stitch types, sewing machines are classified. On the other hand, sewing machines are classified according to their structure. I have written about the sewing machine according to their physical structure. I also mentioned their features and scope of application below.
Types Of Sewing Machine:
Different types of sewing machines are used for domestic and industrial purposes. All of the sewing machines do have not the same functions in the sewing field. The following are the most used sewing machines depending on the stitch types. They are-
- Lockstitch sewing machine
- Chain stitch sewing machine
- Blind stitch sewing machine
- Cover stitch sewing machine
- Safety stitch sewing machine
- Flat seam sewing machine
- Bar tack sewing machine
- Button sewing machine
- Button hole sewing machine
- Domestic model sewing machine
- Industrial model sewing machine
- Hand operated sewing machine
- Treadle sewing machine
- Mechanical sewing machines
- Electronic sewing machine
- Computerized sewing machine
- Mini sewing machines
- Long Arm quilting Sewing Machine
- Embroidery only Sewing machine
Image Source: Singer
Features And Uses Of Sewing Machine:
As I have said, depending on the stitch types, sewing machines are classified. On the other hand, sewing machines are also classified according to their structure. They are-
Flat Bed Sewing Machine
- Flat bed machine is used for lock stitch or chain stitch.
- It has a large working area so material can easily pass.
Uses: It has the widest application in garment sewing in basic type.
Raised Bed Sewing Machine
- Raised bed machine also used for lock stitch and chain stitch formation.
- It facilities the assembly of pre-sewn.
Uses: It is used for fitting accessories and for buttonholer.
Post Bed Sewing Machine
- Post bed sewing machine is used for forming lock and chain stitch.
- It has increased working height.
Uses: It is specially used for shoes and bags.
Cylinder Bed Sewing Machine
- Cylinder bed sewing machine is used for producing lock and chain stitch on the fabric.
- It has increased working height (like an arm).
- It is used for sewing tubular parts, trouser legs and sleeves.
- It is also used for button sewing and bar tacking.
Side Bed Sewing Machine
- Chain and over edge stitching is done by side bed sewing machine.
- It has small working area.
- Specialized for over lock machine only
So, there is lots of sewing machine. All of them have specific characteristics.