Merchandiser is the key person in garment business. It is very important to know the duties and responsibilities of a merchandiser. In a buying house or in a garment merchandising office is act as an export office of garment. Merchandiser is the key person in a buying house. Merchandiser builds up a relation between the producer and importer. At first, merchandiser takes order from a buyer that’s time he acts as a seller to the garment importer. In the other hand, when a merchandiser gives this order to the factory that’s time he acts as a buyer to the manufacturing side. So, there are two face of a merchandiser.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities of a Merchandiser: Merchandiser always tries to give his best efforts to the exporting garments. Here, I like to list the principle duties and responsibilities of a merchandiser. They are-
- The main duties of a merchandiser are to fulfill the demand of a garment buyer.
- At first, take an export order from the buyer.
- To make a time schedule for export those garments as per exporting date.
- To make sample for the export order from a factory.
- If the sample approved then order for bulk production.
- All the materials should be arranged which is required for manufacturing garments.
- To inspects quality of the products as a buyer.
- A merchandiser calculates the consumption of fabric and YPD.
- The merchandiser also calculates thread, button, interlining, label, poly bag, cartoon and other accessories required for a full garment export.
- Merchandiser sometime sourcing the fabrics.
- He also sourcing the accessories.
- The merchandiser follows up the full production process.
- Another main duty of the merchandise is to calculate the costing of garments.
- Merchandise analyses and planning the garment production.
- Merchandiser should concern about the shipment date of the fabric.
- Merchandiser arranges the pre shipment inspection schedule.
- Merchandiser makes the shipment documents.
- To collect the payment is also a big dealing of a merchandiser.
- It is also important to calculate the profit by exporting the products.
- All the activities of the merchandise are to deliver quality products to the buyer.
So, there are lots of duties of a merchandiser. One should consider the above steps to be a good merchandiser.