Hello, my dear merchandiser. Hope all of you doing well in your workplace. Garment costing is very common to all of you. All of you know about the procedure by which one can calculate the cost of manufacturing goods. You can give a quotation for a product which is also important for a merchandiser. Here, I like to share my experience with you. I think that could be very helpful for the fresh merchandiser and experienced merchandiser who have practical experience in this field. hence, garments costing is important for the merchandiser.
The garment is the fashion of the world. Nowadays, men take apparel as a fashion. Apparel manufacturers produce different types of apparel or garments. Garment costing is done by considering all the costs regarding manufacturing the garment. Costing is the process to estimate the total cost of apparel manufacturing. A merchandiser fixed the price of the garment by considering the cost of the raw materials to the final product cost. Costing also considers the quotation process and profit of the products. By doing all of that’s a task the merchandiser fixed the price of the garments.
Major Considering Points before Garment Costing:
Garment costing is a very easy task if anyone has enough knowledge about all the process stages of manufacturing. Here, I have mentioned some major points which should consider before garment costing. They are
- Fabrication: Manufacturer is the seller of the products. The manufacturer makes the products as the willing of the buyer. Before taking an order the merchandiser should confirm about the fabrication of the products. The merchandiser should confirm the strong source of fabric supply.
- Fabric Color: Merchandiser should confirm about the fabric color. How many colors and style will be? What is the color ratio of the total quantity?
- Size Specification: Buyer will confirm about the size of the garment. They will give the approved sample for bulk production. Merchandiser will confirm the PO sheet which is considered before garment costing.
- Quantity: Merchandiser will confirm about the approximate quantity before garment costing.
- Shipment Date: Merchandiser will fix the shipment date by discussing with the buyer.
- Test Requirement: Merchandiser will confirm that the product shall test or not.
- Inspection: Most of the buyer inspects the product before taking the delivery. Merchandiser will confirm the inspection process whether it inspect directly by the buyer or third party. If third party inspect the products then who will pay the charges.
- L/C Payment Terms: Merchandiser will follow all the terms and conditions of L/C.
- GSP: GSP is another important term before garment costing.
Surely, there are lots of points that must be considered by a merchandiser before garment costing. This costing could be in a buying house or in the export department of a garment manufacturing unit.