Crepe weave is a fancy weave. However, this weave structure constitutes a useful variety to the simple weaves, and due to their pebbly or crinkled (rough) surface, fabrics are known as crape or oatmeal fabrics. Therefore, the type of crepe fabric is determined by the size of the pebbles and their arrangement on the fabric surface. Basically, crepe yarn is used to make crepe-designed fabric. High twisted yarn is called crepe yarn. It has curling properties. Various types of home textiles and decorative fabrics are produced by this design.
Types of Crepe Weave:
Crepe weave is divided into four classes. They are-
Properties of Crepe Weave:
The following are the characteristics of crepe weaves. They are-
- Firstly, any weave which will produce a broken irregular appearance on the face of the fabric is known as crepe weave.
- Secondly, rough irregular surfaces are often produced by using specially prepared warp and weft yarns which have a high twist factor that causes them to crimp or curl when the woven fabric is being finished. These yarns are known as crepe yarns and generally, the fabrics produced from them are of plain cloth.
- Somewhat similar overall effects can be produced by using ordinary yarns in special weaves which are known as crepe weaves.
- Lastly, crepe weave is used to produce shirting, decorative purpose, home furnishing, lady’s wear, etc.
Uses of Crepe Weave:
The following are the main uses of crepe weave. They are-
- Firstly, in order to produce a variety of different and contrasting effects in elaborate jacquard designs for brocade and similar fabrics these weaves are frequently employed in conjunction with other elementary weaves.
- Secondly, it uses to produce different decorative woven fabrics. The following are the common uses field of crepe weave.
- Mourning Wear,
- High Fashion,
- Loose Coverings for Furniture,
- Wall hangings, and many other similar household articles.
Types of Crepe Fabric:
Crepe fabric has a great demand eventually for its own characteristics. Furthermore, crepe fabric manufacturers are highly dedicated to producing different varieties of fabric. The following are the common crepe weave fabric types. They are:
- Baute Satin
- Canton crepe
- Crepe Anglaise
- Crepe de sante
- French Crepe
Image Source: istockphoto