Cationic softeners are one of the important softening agents used for the finishing process. It is widely used for softening cellulosic materials.
Properties of Cationic Softener:
The properties of cationic softeners are given below. They are-
- Cationic softeners are widely used on cellulose materials.
- It has enough affinity and substantively towards cellulosic fibers.
- Its PH is lies between 5 – 6.
- Cationic agents become unstable to alkaline media.
- It is soluble in water.
- Cationic salts present in hard water react with softener forming precipitation.
- Chemically cationic softener is sap amines, amido amines, imidazoline and quaternary ammonium compounds.
Preparation of Softener Solution:
Softener solution is made in the following way.
- At first, take required softener.
- Then, take required amount of water at 700C.
- After that, softener and water is mixed by stirring.
- Finally, acetic acid is added in the solution.
Methods of Application:
Softener is applied to the fabric in the following two ways.
- Pad-dry-calender: In this method, 20 -25 g/l softener are taken where PH level is 4 – 5. Then, fabric is impregnate in to water and the pickup % is 70 – 80. Then fabric is dried at 1200 – 1400C for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Exhaust Methods (Jigger or winch): In this method, following parameters are maintained. It is a sample recipe.
- Americos AC 1000 : 1 – 2% (owf)
- Material: Liquo : 1: 10
- Temperature : 450 – 500 C
- PH: 4 – 5
- Time: 20 – 30 minutes
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cationic Softener:
The advantages and disadvantages of cationic softener are given below.
Advantages of Cationic Softener:
- Firstly. cationic softener increases lubricity of yarn.
- Secondly, it minimizes the loss in physical property on resin finished goods.
- Thirdly, permanent finish is done by cationic softener.
- Lastly, it can be used as antistatic agent for loose fiber.
Disadvantages of Cationic Softener:
- Cationic softener gets precipitated when with anionic compounds.
- Lastly, it is not compatible with other additives.
So, when you will choose a cationic softener, you should remind the properties of cationic softener as well as the advantages and disadvantages of cationic softener.