Dimensional Stability Test
Dimensional stability is a vital characteristic of the fabric. However, it is required to confirm the dimensional stability of the dyed fabric. If you think that, you buy a t-shirt from the market as your required size but after the first wash, its size becomes small or large than your required size then you will be upset. So, it required to know about the dimensional stability.
A dimensional stability test is basically an offline quality assurance system. Therefore, we can be confirmed the shrinkage and spirality properties of fabric by this test. After dyeing and finishing, a dimensional stability test is carried out. Additionally, dimensional properties can be changed by stentering, compacting, or treating the fabric with finishing chemicals.
Procedure Of Dimensional Stability Test:
Here, I have described the dimensional stability test for your consideration. In the following way, we can test the shrinkage and spirality of a fabric.
Sample: Two-piece of 50 cm x 50 cm fabric are taken for the test.
- Conditioning: Put the sample in the table for 4 hours for conditioning before starting the test.
- After that, cut the sample 50 x 50 cm & the benchmark should be 35 x 35 cm. Stitch the sample (3 sides) by overlocking the sewing machine.
- Then, put the sample in the washing machine and run according to the buyer’s choice.
- Finally, Drying: All Buyers’ requirement is tumble Dry except ECHO SCOURING is flat dry.
Shrinkage test calculation:
Shrinkage % = (Before wash – After Wash) / Before Wash
Spirality test calculation:
S= (S1+ S2)/2
Spirality = (S+S X L) / 100.
- S1= The right side distance of the specimen from the stitch line wash.
- S2= The left side distance of the specimen from the stitch line after wash.
- L= Length before wash.
In sum, The above test is performed depending on the quality standards: ISO – 9001:2000.
Benchmark Locations For Different Garments
The following are the important benchmark locations for different clothes. They are-
- Shirt: Collar, Collar Band, Body Lengths, Sleeve Lengths, Width at chest and Cuffs
- Trousers: Front rise, Back rise, Inseams, Outseams, Waist, and Seat
- Uniform or Dress: Bodice lengths, Skirt lengths, Sleeve lengths, Shoulders, Chest, Waist, Hip, and Hem
- Pajama Top: Lengths, Sleeves, Hem, and Chest
- Pajama Bottom: Inseams, Lengths, Hip and Waist
- Skirt: Lengths, Hem, Hip, and Waist
- Blouse: Lengths, Sleeve Lengths, Shoulders, Chest, and Waist
So, perform a dimensional stability test for ensuring the quality of the textile goods.
4 thoughts on “Procedure Of Dimensional Stability Test | Shrinkage And Spirality Test”
This Subject is very essential for me to done my job in Li&Fung Bd at Lab Section.
Dear Lablu Vai, always welcome, to do the same in Li & Fung (BD) Ltd.
very good .
how calcualtion after finished fabric cuality control