Polyester contains the ester functional group in its main chain. It is developed by DuPont in 1946 and was sold under the tradename Terylene. however, the common polyester fibers are composed of terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol (PET).
Polyester fabrics and yarns that produce from this type of polyester type are strong, very elastic (springs back into shape), and have high abrasion as well as wrinkle resistance properties. After all, polyester fiber is not stronger than nylon fiber.
Characteristics of Polyester Fibers and Fabrics
The following are the characteristics of polyester fibers. They are-
- Firstly Polyester is a strong fiber.
- Secondly, it has great resistant to most chemicals.
- Thirdly, resistant to stretching and shrinking property is good.
- Then, it crisp and resilient when wet or dry.
- After that, it has strong mildew resistant property.
- Afterwards, quick dye absorbency in dyeing bath.
- In the meantime, it has wrinkle resistant capability.
- Abrasion-resistant of polyester is admirable.
- Later, it is easily wash of polyester materials.
- Lastly, retains heat-set pleats and crease.
Uses of Polyester Fibers and Fabrics
Polyester uses for manufacturing fashionable dresses because it has the ability to resist wrinkling and its washability is excellent. It is a frequent choice for children’s wear for its toughness. Polyester blends with other textile fibers such as cotton to get the best results. Following are the uses of polyester. They are-
- Firstly, polyesters use for making several types of woven garments from polyester yarns or threads. Such as shirts, jackets, pants hats etc.
- Secondly, it is also use to manufacture different home furnishings materials such as curtains, bed sheets, blankets, and pillowcases.
- Thirdly, application of this polymer is in the manufacture of mousepads inded.
- Then, Polyester uses in upholstered furniture as well.
- After that, it uses in the manufacture of certain types of car tire reinforcements.
- Earlier, the safety belts that use in automobiles often made up of polyester along with other components.
- In the meantime, conveyor belts also made up of polyester.
- Later, depending on its insulating properties and its relatively soft texture, it uses in the cushioning materials for pillows production. Besides, upholstery padding made up from polyester
- Next, it has applications in the manufacture of coated fabrics.
- Simultaneously, certain types of polyesters use to produce bottles and in the production of tarpaulin.
- When, polyester fabrics are highly resistant to staining it is ideal to use as a tablecloth.
- Also, it uses to manufacture dielectric films that are used in capacitors.
- Furthermore, LCDs are manufacture with the help of certain polyesters.
- Polyester uses as a component for high-quality finishes for wood products.
- Polyesters use as finishing materials for guitars, interiors, and some pianos.
- Lastly, it uses as film insulation in insulating tapes and some wires.