Basic dyes and their application in the dyeing and printing process are interesting. Jute fiber and its generated products are treated with basic dyes. I have written about jute fabric printing with basic dyes in one of my blog posts. I think that’s will help you to know about the printing process of basic dyes.
Basic dyes are called cationic dyes because when salts of organic bases are ionized into the anionic and cationic parts that are time cation is responsible for color production. On the other hand, basic dyes are basically hydro-chloride or salts of organic bases. Generally, they are insoluble in water but it becomes insoluble form when treated with alcohol or methylated spirit. Basic dyes dyeing is carried out in the acidic form. The dyeing process for different fibers is varied.
Properties of Basic Dyes:
Like other dyes; basic dyes have some own characteristics. Followings are the main characteristics of basic dyes:
- Basic dye is a synthetic class dye.
- Cationic part of the salt is responsible for color production.
- Basic dyes are water insoluble but soluble in alcohol and methylated spirit.
- This dyes are hydro-chlorides or salts of organic salts.
- Basic dyes apply in acidic condition.
- Very brilliant shade produce by basic dyes.
- Fastness properties of these dyes are average to good.
- Mainly basic dyes are suitable for jute dyeing and jute printing but wool, acrylic fibers also can be dyed by basic dyes.
- Leveling properties of these dyes are very poor.
- Cotton has no affinity for basic dyes but dyeing of cotton could be carried out by mordanting, fixing and dyeing operation.
- Basic dyes are comparatively cheap in price.
Advantages of Basic Dyes:
The following are the advantages of basic dyes. They are-
- Firstly, it has moderate substantivity.
- Secondly, it is relatively economical than other dyes.
- Thirdly, basic dyes has high Tinctorial strength.
- It has also wide shade range.
- After that, it includes some of the most brilliant man-made dyes.
- Lastly, basic dyes show good brightness
Limitations of Basic Dyes:
The basic dyes have some limitations. The following are the disadvantages or limitations of basic dyes. They are-
- Firstly, it has high acid content.
- Secondly, it produce backwaters color.
- Thirdly, basic dyes shade stability is Poor.
- It has also very poor lightfastness
- Lastly, it use for preferential dyeing
In sum, we know that reactive dyes, azoic dye, sulphur dyes use for dyeing cellulosic fiber but basic dyes also apply for this.
So, do your job and dye and print your product with basic dyes.
7 thoughts on “What Is Basic Dyes || Properties, Advantages And, Limitations Of Basic Dyes”
The one limitation of basic dyes is that it Cannot be used to dye cotton fabric but used for printing on cotton fabric by mordanting, fixing and dying process.
Is very good
Good information about Basic Dyes dyeing application.Please write me or send me Basic dyes Printing application
Dyein department only
Vat day is a mostly user in food instructions
thanks for sharing