Glass fiber is a hard fiber. Its tenacity is so high. It is in the second position regarding tenacity. After the cabler is aramid, glass fiber is standing on. The production of glass fiber is not so easy. The chemical composition of glass fiber is important to decide because it depends on the final product properties.
Here, I have presented a list of physical and chemical properties of glass fiber. I think this will help you to identify glass fiber from other fibers.
Physical Properties of Glass Fiber:
The following are the physical properties of glass fiber. They are-
- Tenacity: 6.3 – 6.9 gm/den
- Density: 2.5 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: 3%
- Elasticity: Bad
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 0%
- Resiliency: Excellent
- Ability to protest friction: Not good
- Color: White or color less
- Ability to protest friction: It can protect up to 3150C temperature. It loses energy after passing 3150C
- Lusture: Bright to light
Chemical Properties of Glass Fiber:
The following are the chemical properties of glass fiber. They are-
- Acids: Hydro choric acid and hot phosphoric acid causes harm to the glass fiber.
- Basic: It has enough protection ability to alkali.
- Effect of bleaching: Bleaching agent does not cause harm to glass fiber.
- Organic solvent: It does not change on organic solvents.
- Protection ability against mildew: It does not affected by mildew.
- Protection ability against insects: Insect does not affect on glass fiber.
- Dyes: It is not possible to dye after production. But it could be color before production by adding dye in the solution bath.
- Effect of sun light: Sun light does not change the glass fiber properties.
That’s all about glass fiber properties.