Polypropylene is a 100% synthetic textile fiber. It is basically formed by about 85% propylene. Besides, the monomer of polypropylene is propylene and propylene is a by-product of petroleum. It is cheap in price than polyester. It is also used as an alternative to plastic. Hence, this polypropylene is harmful to the environment. It is not degraded with soil, so it causes harm to the soil. Also, it is not decomposed by water for this reason it is used as the rope of a ship. Its moisture regain is too much less which is negligible to count.
Now, I like to present the physical and chemical properties of polypropylene.
Physical Properties of Polypropylene:
Polypropylene is a strong fiber. The following are the physical properties of polypropylene. They are-
- Tenacity: 3.5 – 8.0 gm/den
- Density: 0.91 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: 10 – 45%
- Elasticity: Very good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 0%
- Resiliency: Good
- Melting point: 1700C
- Ability to protest friction: Excellent
- Color: White
- Ability to protest heat: Moderate
- Luster: Bright to light
Chemical Properties of Polypropylene:
The following are the chemical properties of polypropylene. They are-
- Acids: Acid does not affect polypropylene. It has excellent protesting ability against acids.
- Basic: Basic does not affect basic.
- Effect of bleaching: It has enough ability to prevent the harmful action of bleaching agents under 65oC.
- Organic solvent: Organic solvent does not cause harm to polypropylene during the action.
- Protection ability against light: It loses energy from sunlight.
- Protection ability against mildew: Good
- Protection ability against insects: It does not affects by insects.
- Dyes: Difficult to dye polypropylene because its moisture regain is 0%. But pigment dyeing is possible.
So, polypropylene is a harmful product to the environment. Although it has some application in some special cases we should ignore it for our environmental safe.
9 thoughts on “Physical And Chemical Properties Of Polypropylene Fiber”
We are leading plastic raw material manufacturer in China,Our factory produce
PE,PVC,ABS, PP,PET resin,GPPS,HIPS etc,with good quality and pretty competitive price in china.
If need email us,sample is free to offer!!thanks!!!
Ella HEBEI MERIDA INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.
Polypropylene yarn is NOT harmful for the environment:
1. It is mass dyed (no water is polluted during its production as compared with thousands of liters when producing one kilogram of cotton, the colours are permanently anchored in polypropylene yarn and do not subside into your skin)
2. You dont use any pesticides to produce polypropylene yarn
3. Polypropylene yarn is 100% recyclable
4. To produce polypropylene yarn and to produce textiles from polypropylene yarn you need lower temperatures, so less energy
Polypropylene yarn is an ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY yarn.
Polypropylene yarn has the quickest moisture transport and doesnt absorb moisture. That is why its best to be used in sports clothes.
For use of PP as woven fabric or sack for packaging, we use tape plant and looms some of its formulas are given below in link.
What is the oil pickup of pp fiber. What does it mean?
These all are trusted and leading companies in surat which can be helpful to guide reports of Top Fabrics and Textile products companies from Surat City. The silk manufacturing companies in Surat are at all-time high levels.