Acrylic fiber is one of the most used fibers to make textile wear. It is generally used to produce suitable sweaters because it is like wool. But the product which is produced by acrylic is not as comfortable as the natural wool wear.
Physical Properties of Acrylic:
Acrylic fiber has some physical properties. The following are the physical properties of acrylic. They are-
- Tenacity: 2 – 4.2 gm/den
- Density: 1.16 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: 20 to 55%
- Elasticity: Good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 1 – 2.5%
- Resiliency: Good
- Melting point: 2300C
- Ability to protest friction: Good
- Color: White or grey white
- Light reflection ability: Good
- Ability to protest heat: It can protest up to 1500C temperature.
- Luster: Bright to light
Chemical Properties of Acrylic:
The following are the chemical properties of acrylic fibers. They are-
- Acids: Acrylic has enough ability against acidic action.
- Basic: Strong alkali damages the fiber.
- Effect of bleaching: It is safe to bleach acrylic fiber.
- Organic solvent: Organic solvents do not cause harm to the acrylic fiber.
- Protection ability against mildew: Excellent
- Protection ability against insects: Insect does not affect acrylic fiber.
- Dyes: Acid dyes and Basic dyes are suitable to dye acrylic fiber.
In sum, acrylic fibers are widely used in the textile industry. So, we have to know a lot about acrylic fiber.