Rubbing/Crocking Test Method
Colorfastness to rubbing is an offline quality assurance system. However, rubbing fastness measurement is important to know the ability of the dyed fabrics against the rubbing or staining. This type of test shows the fixation of the dyes with the fabric. When rubbing fastness is found good then it also determines that the washing fastness of the fabric will be good. Rubbing fastness is measured in the dry and wet form of the fabric. The rubbing fastness properties of the textile material are measured by comparing the tested fabrics with the greyscale and staining scale.
Image source: CINSUN
Color Fastness To Rubbing/Crocking Test Method
There are two test methods for rubbing fastness measurement. They are-
The rubbing fastness of the material is measured in the following way in most of the dyeing industries.
The following sample is required to measure the rubbing fastness.
- Dyed fabric: 15 cm x 5 cm
- White Test Cloth: 5 cm x 5 cm
Materials and Apparatus for Rubbing Test:
The following Materials and apparatus are required for the rubbing test. they are-
- Crockmeter or comparable alternate apparatus.
- Test Cloth
- Specimen Holder for Crockmeter.
- In-house poor crocking cloth.
- Crockmeter Verification Cloth.
- White Textile Blotting Paper.
- Chromatic Transference Scale.
- Gray Scale for Staining.
Rubbing Fastness Measurement Procedure:
It is a step-by-step method to measure the rubbing fastness properties. Rubbing fastening of the material is done in dry and wet form like the following way.
- Firstly, a white test cloth is put on to the grating and stag by steel wire.
- Secondly, the sample is run twenty times manually for ten seconds. And the rubbing fastness of the sample cloth and degree of staining is accessed.
- Thirdly, for rubbing fastness (Wet), the rubbing cloth is placed in the water and socked and squeeze. The wet rubbing cloth is placed onto the grating and stag with stainless steel wire and runs ten times manually then assesses the attaining on to the rubbing cloth and the rubbing fastness of the sample cloth is accessed.
- Finally, the Change of shade of the sample is measured with greyscale, and the degree of staining of the white test cloth is measured by Staining Scale.
In sum, different types of machinery are used to measure the rubbing fastness. Finally, choose your favorite one for this test.
So, one should be careful during the rubbing tests.