In apparel industry; various types of tools and equipments are used for making apparel. In pattern making section, different tools and equipments are used for manual pattern construction process.
List of Tools and Equipment for Pattern Making (PM):
- Working Surface: A flat working surface is required for pattern making. This surface should have polished or laminated top.
- Paper: White pattern paper or strong brown paper is required for pattern making.
- Pencils: Hard pencils are used for drafting patterns and colored pencils are used for outline.
- Marker Pen: Marker pen is used for writing instructions.
- Curved Rules (French Curves): French curves are used for drawing long curves.
- Set-Square: It is also useful for pattern making.
- Compass: Compass is used to draw a circle.
- Shears / Scissors: Scissors is used for pattern cutting.
- Measuring Tape: It is used for measurement.
- Rubbers, Scotch Tape, Scales are also used for pattern making.
So, there are lots of tools and instruments which are required for manual pattern making process.
Pattern is the individual part of apparel which is shaped by hard drawing paper. This pattern is used for marker making. The construction process of pattern is called pattern making.
Types of Pattern Construction: Pattern can be made by the following two ways.
- Manual Pattern Construction
- Computer Aided Pattern Construction
Principle of Manual Pattern Construction: This pattern is constructed fully manually. The pattern draft is developed by calculation, taking account the following measurements:
- Actual body measurement.
- Size charts on “First Direct Sample”.
- Grading increments.
- Easy Allowances
- Sewing Allowances
- Other Allowances
Pattern Instructions: Following instructions must be marked on the pattern correctly:
- Name of each pattern
- Style No.
- Grain direction
- Balance marks
- Seam allowances
Grain Direction: Grain direction indicates the length direction of fabric. All patterns must be placed on to the marker paper in relation parallel of grain line.