In woven fabric manufacturing technology two types of yarns are used they are warp and weft yarn. But in knit fabric manufacturing one set of yarns are used. The yarn which is placed in the longitudinal direction of a woven fabric is called warp yarn. Warp yarn is used for make a weaving beam. The yarn which is used for cross interlacement through the warp beam is called weft yarn. Warp yarn count is finer than the weft yarn count.
Warp yarn should have various qualities which ensure the quality of fabric. Number of warp yarn which is used for making a specific fabric that is fixed by the calculation of fabric construction. Following properties should have a warp yarn; they are as follows:
- Cross section of the warp yarn should be uniform.
- Warp yarn should be sufficiently and uniformly strong.
- Warp yarn should be less hairy.
- Warp yarn must be dust free and clean.
- Knots of a warp yarn should be minimum.
- Application of size materials on warp yarn should be standard and knots must be proper otherwise warp yarn face difficulties during passing into the eye.
- Arrangement of warp yarn in the weavers beam should be parallel.
- Warp yarn should be free from naps, slubs and loose fiber.
- Tension of warp yarn in the weavers beam should be uniform.
So, when we will select warp yarn we should remember the above properties of warp yarn. After making weavers beam, it becomes ready for fabric production. It is note that; woven fabrics may be colored or in grey form. Grey fabrics send for dyeing if needed.