In winding process; yarns are transferred from one package to another. During winding process; the tension of the yarns should be in controlled, otherwise yarn breakage will be increased for high tension or low tension will hampered the winding operation. So, tensioning device plays an important role in winding.
During the time of winding; to give proper tension to the yarn is the object of a tension device. Tensioning device is used to control the tension of the yarn. If the yarns are irregular or thick or thin place is in yarn then it have chance to break down due to over tension.
Effects of tensioning device: During winding, tension is applied on the yarn stand. Tension may be high or low. Tension has some effects, which is required to know. Followings are the effects of tensioning device.
- Too high tension can damage the yarn. Breakage rate may be greater due to high tension. Too high tension also changes the elongation property.
- Too low tension can lead to unstable or loose package which will not unwind clearly.
- Variation in yarn tension in different parts of wound package can cause undesirable package.
- Tension also effect on manmade filament yarn. It can cause molecular changed in their physical structure. It also effects on the color shading.
- For too high tension, staple or spun yarn may break at thin place.
Requirements of tensioning device: There have different factors which influence the selection of tensioner. Followings are the requirements of tensioning device.
- The tension must be reliable to control uniform tension.
- Tensioning device must be threaded.
- It must neither introduce non magnify tension variation.
- It must not introduce difference in twist.
- It must not be affected by wear.
- It must be easily adjustable.
- It must not be affected by presence of oil or dirt.
- It must not encourage the collection of dirt and lint.
- It must be capable of easy cleaning.
- The operating surfaces must be smooth.
- It must be inexpensive or cheap.
- It must be simple in design or operation.
- It must not be cause of yarn damage.
- Tensioning device should be like that it would not affect the properties of the yarn.
So, design of the tensioning device should be perfect.