Viscose Rayon is a re generated cellulosic fiber. It is a manmade fiber but it shows both the properties of natural fiber and synthetic fiber. It will be clear when you will read the following physical and chemical properties of viscose rayon. If we know the properties of the viscose rayon then it will be helpful to proceed the next process.
Physical Properties of Viscose Rayon: Like polyester or other manmade fiber, viscose rayon fiber consists of some important physical properties. Important physical properties of viscose rayon are given below.
- Tenacity: 2.4 – 3.2 gm/den
- Density: 1.64 – 1.54 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: 13%
- Elasticity: Good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 11 – 13%
- Melting point: This fiber becomes weak when it heated above 150oc.
- Ability to protest friction: Less
- Color: White
- Light reflection ability: Good but ultra violet ray damages the fiber.
- Lusture: light to bright
Chemical Properties of Viscose Rayon: Various types of chemical properties of viscose rayon fiber are given below:
- Acids: Viscose rayon is damaged by strong acids but it is moderate with weak acids.
- Basic: Good resistance to weak alkalis but strong alkali is harmful for viscose rayon.
- Effect of bleaching: Strong oxidizing agents damage the viscose rayon fiber.
- Organic solvent: Viscose rayon fiber has enough ability to protest the action of organic solvents.
- Protection ability against mildew: Not good and mildew damages the rayon fiber.
- Protection ability against insects: Viscose rayon is affected by insects and they cause harm to the fiber.
- Dyes: Viscose rayon could be dye with direct, vat and sulphur dyes.
So, that’s all about the physical and chemical properties of viscose rayon.