Sizing is called the heart of weaving. Sizing is the process by which a protective adhesive coating is applies on a yarn surface. It increases the efficiency of weaving process.
Types of sizing: Sizing process is classified as follow:
- Pure Sizing: Application of size ingredients up to 10%.
- Light Sizing: Application of size ingredients 11% to 15%.
- Medium Sizing: Application of size ingredients 16% to 20%.
- Heavy Sizing: Application of size ingredients above 40%.
Types of sizing application methods or techniques: There are different application processes by which size materials are applied on yarn surface. Followings are the application methods.
- Hot melting sizing
- Solvent sizing
- Foam sizing
- High pressure sizing
- Electrostatic sizing
- Emulsion sizing
- Combined sizing
- Slasher sizing
Drying system: After application of size materials on yarn surface, it needs to dry to fix the size on the yarn. Following are the drying system.
- Two cylinder drying
- Multi cylinder drying
- Hot air drying
- Infrared drying
- Combined drying
Technical changes due to sizing: After application of size ingredients on the yarn surface, following changes are occurred. They are:
- Increase in breaking strength.
- Increase stiffness.
- Increase abrasion resistance.
- Increase elasticity.
- Increase smoothness.
- Increase actual diameter, but decrease apparent diameter.
- Decrease in hairiness.
- Decrease in extension.
- Decrease elastistatic charge.
Sizing is done during beam preparation. If sizing is done perfectly then it is possible to get a good qualified woven fabric.
So, we should be careful about the application of the sizing and its drying system.