Viscose Rayon is a re generated cellulosic fiber. It is a manmade fiber but it shows both the properties of natural fiber and synthetic fiber. It will be clear when you will read the following physical and chemical properties of viscose rayon. If we know the properties of the viscose rayon then it will be helpful to proceed the next process.
Physical Properties of Viscose Rayon: Like polyester or other manmade fiber, viscose rayon fiber consists of some important physical properties. Important physical properties of viscose rayon are given below.
- Tenacity: 2.4 – 3.2 gm/den
- Density: 1.64 – 1.54 gm/c.c
- Elongation at break: 13%
- Elasticity: Good
- Moisture Regain (MR%): 11 – 13%
- Melting point: This fiber becomes weak when it heated above 150oc.
- Ability to protest friction: Less
- Color: White
- Light reflection ability: Good but ultra violet ray damages the fiber.
- Lusture: light to bright
Chemical Properties of Viscose Rayon: Various types of chemical properties of viscose rayon fiber are given below:
- Acids: Viscose rayon is damaged by strong acids but it is moderate with weak acids.
- Basic: Good resistance to weak alkalis but strong alkali is harmful for viscose rayon.
- Effect of bleaching: Strong oxidizing agents damage the viscose rayon fiber.
- Organic solvent: Viscose rayon fiber has enough ability to protest the action of organic solvents.
- Protection ability against mildew: Not good and mildew damages the rayon fiber.
- Protection ability against insects: Viscose rayon is affected by insects and they cause harm to the fiber.
- Dyes: Viscose rayon could be dye with direct, vat and sulphur dyes.
So, that’s all about the physical and chemical properties of viscose rayon.
Viscose Rayon is discovered by C.F. Cross and E.J. Bevan in 1891. It was discovered in UK. It is one of the oldest man made filament. We know that, viscose rayon is produced from the wood which contains cellulose for this reason it is called regenerated cellulosic fiber. It is produced by a spinning process.
The raw materials of the viscose rayon are prepared in the coagulated bath. Then the liquid solution is send to the spinneret through the spinning nozzle by high pressure. Spinneret contains about 12 to 90 hole which diameter is 0.5 to 0.1mm through which liquid is passed.
Spinning Bath Composition of Viscose Rayon: Following chemical solvents are contain in a spinning bath of viscose rayon.
H2SO4 : 10%
Na2SO4 : 18%
Glucose : 02%
ZnSO4 : 01%
Water : 69%
Above composition is calculated on 100%. Viscose rayon is one of the important manmade fibers. So, we should have bast knowledge about viscose rayon.
Viscose Rayon is a re-generated cellulosic fiber. It is a manmade fiber and it is re produced from the cellulose. Viscose Rayon is also called as artificial silk, wood silk, art silk and many more. Mainly viscose rayon is used as the alternatives of natural silk fiber. Day by day the demand of the viscose rayon is increases rapidly.
Although viscose rayon is a manmade fiber and it is produced by a spinning process. In this spinning process, pulp is the raw materials which is produced from the wood, seed hair, bast, leaf, grasses and bamboo which contain cellulose.
Process Flow Chart In Viscose Rayon Production: Viscose Rayon is produced from the materials which are produced naturally but it converted into viscose rayon by blending the natural materials with some chemical agents. Process sequence of Viscose Rayon is given below:
Raw Materials (Wood Pieces)
Conditioning to Produce Pulp
Steeping in NaOH
We know that, a chart can say the full process and it is the short form of explanation. This is the basic structure. I will write about the chemistry of viscose rayon production in one of my blog, I think that’s will help you to understand the full process.