Plain fabric has the basic design structure. If anyone wants to get success he have to do something more than that of design. For this reason various types of derivatives of plain fabric is required to establish. This modified plain fabric has a great demand in the market. Depending on the design, the derivatives are classified as the below.
Derivatives of Plain Weave: Plain fabric derivatives are as below:
Rib Weave: This type of derivatives consist of ribs or cord in the warp or weft direction. Rib weave is classified as below:
- Regular Warp Rib
- Irregular Warp Rib
- Regular Weft Rib
- Irregular Weft Rib
Matt Rib: Matt Rib fabric has a smooth surface and more flexible than plain weave. Matt rib is classified as below:
- Regular Matt
- Irregular Matt
- Stitched Matt
- Fancy Matt
So, there are lots of derivatives of plain weave. I will write briefly about these derivatives in my next blog. Till then.
Plain cloth structure is formed by the interlacement of warp and weft yarn in the alternative order. So, all of the plain cloth has a same design but it is possible to modify the appearance of the plain cloth by adding some properties to the fabric structure. So, we should be careful during weaving process to apply the decorative techniques to the plain cloth.
Classification Of Plain Cloth: There are a lots of plain fabric is found in the market but they have some technical difference in their structure. The main effective factor is Ends Per Inch (EPI) and Picks Per Inch (PPI). Plain cloth can be classified as the following two ways.
Firstly, Plain Cloth is classified depending on the face of the cloth. They are as:
- Approximately Square Cloth: This type of fabric is formed by same warp and weft count also EPI and PPI is same. In its structure, warp and weft are equally or near prominent on both sides of the cloth. Cheese cloth, Surgical cloth and Tracing cloth are familiar approximately square plain cloth.
- Warp Faced Cloth: This type of fabric is formed by the fine warp yarn which is finer than weft yarn. Here, prominence of warp yarn is more than that of weft yarn. Terylene, Shirting, Cotton Poplin, Cotton Canvas are the most famous warp faced cloth.
- Weft Faced Cloth: In this fabric structure, prominence of weft yarn is more than that of warp yarn also weft yarns are normally finer than warp yarn. Cotton casement cloth is the most used weft faced cloth.
Secondly, plain cloth is classified depending on the balance of the cloth. They are as:
- Balanced Cloth: In this cloth, the warp and weft counts are same. EPI and PPI are also same. The prominent of warp and weft are equal.
- Unbalanced Cloth: This type of fabric is formed by varying the warp and weft count, EPI and PPI in the same structure.
From the above, we see that, the fabric structure generally vary based on the count of warp and weft and the EPI and PPI of fabric.
So, when you will manufacture a plain cloth, try to classify as the above.
Plain weave is the simplest weave structure among all of the design of woven fabric. Most of the woven fabrics are manufactured by this weave. Very tight fabric is formed by this plain weave. In this weave structure, weft yarn passes through the warp alternatively.
Types of Plain Cloth: Plain cloth is made by plain weave. We can find the following plain cloth in the market. Trade names of plain cloth are given below:
- Long cloth
They are most common plain cloth.
Properties of Plain Weave: Plain weave has the following properties. They are:
- Both sides of the weave are identical.
- It comprises a high production of the total output of woven fabric.
- The plain weave is made from all kinds of textile raw materials and yarns, i.e. Cotton, Linen, Jute, Man-made fibers both spun and continuous filament yarn.
- Thread interlacement is in alternative order.
- Each threads give maximum amount of support to the adjacent threads.
- Texture or fabric is stronger and finer than any other structure.
- Friction as well as stress on warp yarn is reduced by Skip Draft.
Ornamentation Techniques of Plain Cloth: Various types of plain cloth are found in the market. Although they are made by same design but they have different outlook. How it is possible? Yes, it is possible by the ornamentation process. The outlook of the plain fabric is changed as the following ornamentation process. They are as:
- By using extremely fine yarn, i.e. Muslim cloth.
- By using coarse yarn, i.e. Jute Hessian.
- By using threads of different colors which are combined in check form.
- By using the threads on both warp and weft that may be vary in color and count.
- By using Fancy Slub yarn.
- By using two warp beam in different tension.
- By using different twisted yarn.
- By using special shaped reed.
- By using different textile materials.
So, if we want to make some decorative plain cloth, we can do this by applying the above ornamentation techniques.