In apparel manufacturing; different types of sewing accessories and finishing accessories are used for sew the fabric. Sewing thread is the principal sewing accessories. Different types of sewing thread are used for t-shirt, polo-shirt, trouser or others garment sewing. A sewing thread should have enough sewability and durability for ensuring the longibility of the apparel. Here, I have written about the properties of sewing thread which should have a sewing thread.
Essential requirements for sewing thread: Sewing thread should fulfill the following requirements. They are as follow:
- Sewability: This type of properties should have during the sewing of the fabric. How can we measure the sewability of a sewing thread? It is very easy, we can sew 100 yds or meters by the sewing thread, if no breakage that means it has sufficient sewability.
- Not breaking when used for high speed sewing.
- The thread has to have sufficient surface smoothness.
- Thread must have a uniform diameter.
- Durability: Durability of the sewing thread should be excellent. Durability is measured by considering the following points.
- Thread must have sufficient elasticity on seams during wear.
- Thread shrinkage should be minimum.
- Thread has to maintain its original color after clearing process.
We know that, core spun, cotton and polyester sewing thread are the main sewing thread which is mainly used for sewing. Various types of multi fly sewing thread are produced by the combination of different fibers. I think that also important to improve the properties of sewing thread by research.
So, ensure the properties of sewing thread and get the better sewing efficiency. Otherwise, various types of garment defects could be appearing for the sewing thread.