Sewing is done by the needle. Sewing operation is by hand sewing other is done by the help of machine. In the modern times, sewing machine is used for sew the different parts of a product. During sewing the needle passed through the fabric and connected two or more parts by producing loops between this two. Different sewing techniques are used for sew the fabric.
Sewing Needle Selection: It is very important to select the right needle for the right operation. If the needle size does not match with the fabric character and the sewing threads then it may cause the sewing quality and make huge loss. So it is required to concern about the needle size. Needle size is expressed in metric size it is denoted by Nm. Needle size is expressed by measuring the diameter of the blade. Say, if the diameter of the blade is 0.7m the needle size will be 70Nm. So, one can buy the needle by using this system.
Important Points for Selection of Sewing Needle: Different points are required to consider during needle selection. They are-
- For the finer fabric, needle and sewing thread should be finer.
- If the needle is finer than sewing thread then the thread cannot move easily through the needle.
- If the sewing thread is courser than needle then it will generate more friction. This will generate heat. For this reason, thread breakage will be increased and it will hamper the production rate.
- For we use finer needle than sewing thread then the sewing thread will not take position perfectly at the needle long groove.
- In the other hand. If the thread is finer than the needle then it may cause slipped stitch at the needle. The needle will fail to create perfect size of loops.
- Now, if the needle is finer than required fabric then sewing needle will deflect and become curve with the action of throat plate. It is unexpected to a production officer.
From the above point, it is clear that; needle should be matched with the fabric and sewing thread. Perfect combination of fabric, needle and sewing thread can give fault free sewing. So, be careful during needle selection for the sewing operation.