Spreading of fabric is done both manual and mechanical method. Here, fabric is unwound from the fabric roll. Fabric may be woven or knitted. This fabric roll is formed in tubular or open width form.
Types of Fabric Packages for Fabric Spreading: Various fabric packages are used for fabric spreading. They are-
- Roll Form: This type of roll is formed by the open width fabric. Open width fabric roll is used for making woven apparels. Woven fabric is formed in open width but sometimes knit fabric is found in open width. In the case of knit fabric, tubular fabric is cutted for making open width form by the slitting machine.
- Roll Form: This type of roll is formed by the tubular fabric. Tubular fabric roll is used for making knitwear.
- Flat Form: Flat form fabric package is mostly used for knitwear.
- Hanging Form: It is used for both woven and knit wear, especially for velvet fabric or pile fabrics.
Splicing: Splicing means overlapping during spreading fabric from roll. When ply end is overlapped with other ply end that is called splicing.
Mechanical spreading and manual spreading are two types of fabric spreading. These two types have some advantages and some limitation of use. Anyhow, I have given the features of mechanical spreading and advantages of manual spreading in below.
Features of Mechanical Method:
- High production is achieved by mechanical method.
- Arrangements available for counting number of plies.
- Cutting devices available at the end of each ply.
- Auto leveler available to flat the fabric.
- Photo-cells available for selvedge alignment.
- Speed controller available to ensure uniform tension.
- Grinding wheel available with the cutter.
- Fabric loading and unloading device available for nonstop spreading.
- A platform is available for the operator by which he/she can sit or stand during spreading.
- Low labor cost.
- Suitable for large scale apparel industry.
Advantages of Manual Fabric Spreading:
- Easy to operate.
- Investment low.
- Suitable for small scale garment industry.
Manual fabric spreading method is popular in sub-continent because manpower is available here also they are cheap.
Fabric spreading is done by manually or mechanically. In mechanical method; fabric spreading is done by semi-automatic or automatic machine.
Principles Of Mechanical Fabric Spreading Method: The principles of mechanical fabric spreading are given below.
Tools and Machines:
- Spreading machine (head, track, catcher, cutter)
- Fabric roll
- The cloth is un-wound and spread either semi automatic or automatically.
- The spreading head or carriage is moved back and spread over the table.
- In fully automatic machines, fabric loading and unloading devices available which ensure continuous productions.
- This process to be continued as per requirements.
Mechanical fabric spreading method is more reliable than manual fabric spreading method.