Straight draft and skip draft is the most used drafting system to express drafting plan of woven structure.
Features of Straight Draft: The features of straight draft are given below.
- Straight draft is the simplest type of draft that forms basis from many other drafts.
- Straight draft is the most common and can be used with any number of heald shafts.
- Each successive thread is drawn on each successive shaft. The first thread on the first shaft, the second on the second shaft and so on. The last thread of the warp repeat is drawn in the last shaft.
- The number of heald shafts equal to the number of warp in the repeat.
Features of Skip Draft: The features of skip draft are given below.
- Skip draft is used in weaving in the fabric with a high density of warp threads having same structure.
- In this drafting system, 2, 4 or 6 heald shafts are used.
- This enables to decrease the density of heald on each shaft and to reduce the friction of threads against thread and thread against heald.
- Skip draft is used in plain weave.
So, that’s all about the properties of straight draft and skips draft.
Drafting plan is the major parts of a complete design for a woven fabric. The number of heald shafts used to produce a design is indicated by drafting plan.
Methods of Indicating of Drafting Plan: Drafting plan can be expressed by various ways. Drafting plan can be indicated by the following methods. They are:
- By Ruling Line
- By The Use Of Design Paper
- By Numbering
Ruling Line Method: Ruling line is a method of indicating draft, in which the horizontal lines represent the healds and the vertical lines indicate the warp threads. The marks on the line indicate the healds upon which the respective threads are drawn. Ruling line methods are not so used methods of indicating drafting plan.
Design Paper Method: Design paper method is the best way to express drafting plan of a woven fabric. This is the method in which the horizontal spaces represent the healds and the vertical spaces represent warp threads. Marks are inserted upon the small squires.
Numbering Method: This is a method which refers to the number of threads. In this case, the threads are successively drawn on the healds in order indicating the number.
Systems of Drafting: Drafting is done as the following way.
- Straight Draft
- Point Draft
- Skip Draft
- Broken Draft
- Grouped Draft
- Curved Draft
- Divided Draft
- Combined Draft
These are the systems of drafting. I will write details in the next.