5S is the modern methodology for arranging your daily work in a fair way. It teaches to arrange all the materials in a schedule way for comfort. It makes easy the searching methods. It helps to teach discipline. Discipline can help to the success in life.
Here, I have described about 5S in details in point. They are-
Sorting (Seiri): Sorting is done for choosing necessary items for storing. Sorting is done as follow:
- It needs to eliminate all unnecessary tools, parts, and instructions.
- By sorting man keeps only essential items and eliminate what is not required
- Sorting prioritizing things per requirements and keeping them in easily-accessible places.
- Everything else is stored or discarded.
Straightening or setting in order / stabilize (Seiton): After sorting, straightening is done for keeping things in right place. Straightening is done as follow:
- Straightening indicates that, there should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place.
- The place for each item should be clearly labelled or demarcated in a sound manner.
- Items should be arranged in a manner that promotes efficient work flow, with equipment used most often being the most easily accessible.
Shining or systematic cleaning (Seiso): Systematic cleaning is done for clean the unwanted things from the work place. Shining is done as follow:
- Shining is done to clean the workspace and all equipment, and keep it clean, tidy and organized.
- Shining is done at the end of each shift, clean the work area and be sure everything is restored to its place.
- Maintaining cleanliness should be part of the daily work – not an occasional activity initiated when things get too messy.
Standardizing (Seiketsu): There should be a standard for doing the work. Standardizing is done as follow:
- All work stations for a particular job should be identical.
- All employees doing the same job should be able to work in any station with the same tools that are in the same location in every station.
- Everyone should know exactly what his or her responsibilities are for adhering to the first 3 S’s.
Sustaining the discipline or self-discipline (Shitsuke): Sustaining is done for keep the manner for the long way.
- Sustaining is required for further continuity. 5S is a habit and is continually improved.
- Maintain and review standards.
- Maintain focus on this new way and do not allow a gradual decline back to the old ways.
- While thinking about the new way, also be thinking about yet better ways.
So, there are lots of ways for improving your every work day. Manager should follow the modern methods for keeping improvement in daily life. Success will be come in its own way. We should try for better.