Finishing is the final steps of wet processing technology. A textile products either it is dyed or printed it needs to add some finishing feathers before marketing. By applying different finishing techniques a product becomes more comfortable to use. So finishing should be easier to apply.
Dyeing/Printing + Finishing = RMG/Marketing
The making of marketable and consumer useable textiles is not completed after fabric production, dyeing or printing operation. Fabrics usually still need to undergo additional steps known as Finishing. Finishing is the final processing before the fabric is cut into apparel or made into any articles of textiles. Finishing is what improves attractiveness and makes fabrics suitable for use. There are different types of finishing operation. Some make fabric stiffer, some make softener, some make fabric water repellent or water proof, some make shrink-resistant or fire-proof etc.
Classification of Finishes: Textile finishes are classified in different ways.
The most classifications are:
- Aesthetic finishes: This type of finishes make change or modify the appearance of the fabric or hand/drape properties of the fabrics.
- Functional finishes: This type of finishes changes the internal performance properties of the fabric.
Following chart shows the summary of finishing operation:
Finishes also classifies as follows:
- Mechanical finishes: This type of finishes also called as dry finishes. This type of finishes involves specific physical treatment to a fabric surface to cause a change in fabric appearance.
- Chemical finishes/Wet finishes: This type of finishes usually applied to fabric by padding followed by curing or drying.
Finishes also can be classified by their degree of performance as follows:
- Permanent finishes: It involves a chemical change in fiber structure and do not change throughout the life of a fabric.
- Durable finishes: Usually last throughout the life of a fabric, effectiveness becomes diminished after each cleaning and near the end of normal use life of the fabrics, the finishing is nearly removed.
- Semi-durable finishes: Usually last several launderings or dry cleanings and many are removal in home laundering or dry cleaning.
- Temporary finishes: Removed or substantionaly diminished the first time an article is laundered or dry cleaning.
Objectives of finishing: Followings are the objectives of finishing:
- To improve attractiveness of the fabric.
- To increase the life time or durability of the fabric.
- To meet up specific requirement of the fabric for achieve the final goal.
Finishing plays an important role in the modern age. Everyone likes to wear finished products with some special types of finishing. Finishing of the fabric depends on the requirement of the buyer. Different types of finishing machine are use in finishing operation.