The main characteristics of plain rib weave is that, they produces ribs or cords in the warp or weft directions. If the cords or ribs produce in the weft direction then it is called warp rib and if the cords or ribs produce in the warp direction then it is called weft rib. This weft rib is classified into two side, they are: regular weft rib and irregular weft rib.
Features of Weft Rib Structure: The characteristics of warp rib and weft rib is not same, there is some basic difference in their basic structure. Here, I have given some features of weft rib structure. They are as:
- Weft rib produces ribs or cords in the warp direction.
- Normally finer yarn is used as weft and coarser one as warp.
- If the number of picks is more than the number of ends in a unit space, then yarn of same count may be used.
- Two or more warp yarn pass over or under a weft yarn.
- Normally, two heald shafts are used.
- Weft rib is used for producing Blankets, hair cords etc.
Above figure is the regular and irregular weft rib structure. It is a sample structure.
Name of Rib Fabric: Following woven fabric is produced by plain rib structure. They are:
- Cord Fabric
- Poplin Fabric
- Hair Cords
Above fabrics are both warp and weft rib plain fabric. So, find out which is warp rib fabric and which is weft rib fabric.