Apparel manufacturing is the most sensitive stage because it is the last stage of manufacturing before marketing. The entire consumer wants to get a product which is free of any types of defects. For this reason manufacturers should be aware about the defects of product. In the every stage of manufacturing various types of mistakes can be occurred. So we should know the defects of garments, for which it occurs and its remedies.
Defects of apparel can be defined as the absence of desired features in the product or unwanted features in products or a features existing in distorted or wrong way. Defective product is not desired to any man. Defective products lose its value in the market. A product may contain different defect.
Another terms near to defect is called reject. Most of the people related to garments section is familiar to reject. A product becomes a reject when it loses its salability in the market. Rejection of garment is harmful for the manufacturers. A single defect in the most visible area of a garment may make it a reject.
Types of defects in apparel and its causes: Different types of accessories use in apparel manufacturing. Mainly two types of defects found in apparel. They are as follow:
- Non sewing defects
- Defects due to faulty materials, like fabric, buttons, zipper etc.
- Defects due to wrong pattern, wrong marking.
- Defects due to wrong spreading, wrong cutting.
- Defects due to wrong bundling.
- Defects due to staining, oil marks.
- Defects due to wrong ironing, wrong folding.
- Defects due to wrong packing etc.
- Sewing defects
- Skipped Stitch: Missing in loop formation and speed variation in feed dog is the main cause of these defects.
- Staggerd Stitch: This type of defect occurs for thin needle. If needle size and thread count are not matched and needle displaced then this defect also appear.
- Unbalanced Stitch: This type of defect appears due to un-uniform thread tension.
- Variable Stitch: If feed dog is not in right track then this type of defect occurs.
- Open Stitch: This type of defects occur due to blunt needle and poor strength of sewing thread.
- Needle mark: Needle is the main elements of sewing. When wrong stitching arises then this defect arises.
So, defects can be for one type of cause or both. Anyhow if we can control the cause of defects then we can control rejection of final products. Quality control department of the industry should give emphasis on it. In every steps of manufacturing, quality department should check the quality of the product. When any types of defect appear in the product they should take necessary steps to deduce the rate of defect.
We want a defect free product which can satisfy the consumer demand.