Count of yarn is important to produce specific quality of yarn. Generally when we get a finish product order we have to calculate the count of yarn. To give specific count of yarn is the pre condition of a producer. It also shows the ability of a producer. So it has a great importance in production. Let we know about yarn count and its application in production.
Yarn Count: The yarn count is a numerical expression which defines its fineness or coarseness. It also expresses weather the yarn is thick or thin. A definition of yarn is given by textile institute “Count is a number indicating the mass per unit length or the length per unit mass of yarn”.
Yarn count can be measured by two ways:
- Direct System (weight/length)
- Indirect system (length/weight)
Direct System: In this system the yarn count express the number of weight unit in one length unit. Thus higher the count,coarser the yarn. This method is used for express the count of man-made fiber, jute, Silk etc. By the following formula count is measured.
N = (W/l) / (L/w)
N = The Yarn count
W = The weight of sample
L = The length of sample
l = The unit of length
w = The unit of weight
Tex, Denier, Pounds per spindle is the unit which is expressed in direct system.
- Tex: The yarn number or count in the Tex system is the weight in grams of 1000m or 1 km of yarn.
- Denier: The yarn count in the denier system is the weight in grams of 9000m or 9 km of yarn.
- Pounds per Spyndle: The yarn count in pounds per spindle is the weight in pounds of 14,400yards of yarn. Jute count is expressed by this system.
Indirect System: In this system the yarn count express the number of length in one weight unit. Thus higher the count,finer the yarn. By the following formula yarn count is expressed in indirect system.
N = (L/w) / (W/l)
English count, Metric count, Worsted are expressed in indirect system.
- English: It is defined as the number of hanks (840 yards) per pounds. It is denoted by Ne.
- Metric: It is defined as the number of hanks (1000 m) per kg. It is defined by Nm.
- Worsted: It is defined as the number of hanks (560 yards) per pounds.
Anyhow, conversion is possible between two systems.
Now I will discuss about jute count, which is expressed in pounds per spindle. In this system 14,400 yards = 1 Spyndle. If we found 9 pounds in 1 spyndle than its count will be 9. In this system higher the yarn count coarser the yarn.
Jute count can be calculated by another two ways:
- Tex method: Number of grams in 1000 m is that’s count. Say if we found 70 grams in 1000 m then its count is 70. Tex can be converted into Pounds per spindle or Pounds per spindle can be converted into Tex by the following way.
i. Tex/34.45 = Pounds/Spyndle
ii. Or, Pounds/Spyndle*34.45 = Tex
- : In this method jute count can be calculated. Here 300 yards is equal to 1 Lea. Number of Lea in one pound is recommended its count. It is expressed in following ways:
Lea Count = 48/ (Pounds/Spyndle)
Yarn count is measured by different instrument I will try to discuss about different count testing instruments in my next post. Count is an important part of Quality control department. So we should have brief knowledge about count of yarn.