Basalt fiber and microfiber are the most important fiber for technical textile manufacturing. In the modern times, various types of high performance textiles are made from this fiber.
Properties of Basalt Fiber: Basalt fiber is a high performance inorganic textile fiber. Followings are the characteristics of basalt fiber.
- Basalt fiber has high tensile strength.
- It has better elongation properties.
- It has high tearing strength.
- Mostly, it has better physic mechanical properties than glass fiber.
- It is cheaper than glass fiber.
Uses of Basalt Fiber: The basalt fiber is used in the following area.
- Basalt fiber can be used as composite materials.
- It is used as tripods.
Properties of Micro Fiber: Micro fiber is an ultra fine fiber. Followings are the characteristics of micro fiber.
- The count of micro fiber is less than 1 denier.
- Nylon, Polyester, Acrylic can be used for made this micro fiber.
Uses of Micro Fiber: Various types of wants a fulfill by using microfiber. They are-
- Micro fiber can be used for making water proof fabric or clothing.
- This fiber is used as fire proof fabric.
- It is used in windy seasons as well as cold season.
Besides these two fibers, I want to mention carbon fiber which is mostly used in technical textile manufacturing. Carbon fiber or graphite fiber is a material consisting of extremely thin fibers (0.005 – 0.010mm) in diameter and composed mostly of carbon atoms.
So, when we will do work with technical textile manufacturing, we should take in mind this properties of technical textile fiber.
Hi-tech textile fibers are mostly re generated with high physical and chemical properties. We know about various natural and manmade fibers which are used in conventional textile manufacturing. In the modern times, technical textiles are made from the various types of hi-tech textile fiber. That’s technical fibers are made from synthetic fiber by the modification process. In this regards, I can give an example of technical fiber which is used for making an aircraft. The aircraft is known as “Dream liner” Premier of the Boeing 787, started in July 7, 2007. This aircraft is achieved through breaking application of carbon fiber technology. That was the most advanced passenger aircraft ever, quieter, pressenger friendly and environmental friendly.
Top Technical Fibers for Technical Textiles: Technical fibers are used for manufacturing technical yarn. Fibers which are used for technical textile manufacturing are listed below.
- Conventional fibers like cotton are used for technical textile manufacturing.
- Regenerated fibers, synthetic fibers like Viscose Rayon, Polyester, and Nylon.
- High strength and high modulus organic fibers like Carbon fiber.
- High chemical and combustion resistant organic fiber like cotton fiber.
- High performance inorganic fibers like Glass fiber, Basalt fiber.
- Ultra fine and novelty fibers like Micro fiber.
I have written about the application area of technical textiles in our modern life in one of my previous articles. So, technical fiber has a great importance in technical textile manufacturing process.
Technical textile is developed by technical fiber as well as technical yarn. Various types of technical yarns are developed by manufacturers. There have been many types of filament yarns which are developed for technical applications.
Technical Yarns: Followings are the most used technical filament. They are –
- Aramid Filament Yarn: Nomex and Klever by Dupont.
- Glass Filament Yarn: E-glass, C-glass, S-glass.
- Carbon Filament Yarn
- HDPE Filament Yarn : Spectra, Dyneema, Tekmilon
- PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene)
- PBI (Polybenzimidazole)
- PBO (Polyphenylenebenzobisoxazole)
Characteristics Of Technical Filament Yarn: In above I have written about various technical filament yarn name. The entire filament has not same characteristics. So it is required to know the specific characteristics of the filament yarn.
Characteristics of Aramid Filament Yarn:
- Aramid filament has high tenacity properties.
- It has high resistance to stretch, chemicals and temperature.
Characteristics of Klever Yarn:
- It is light in weight.
- Its fatigue is less.
- It has damage resistance properties.
Characteristics of Nomex Yarn: It has high heat resistance properties.
Characteristics of Glass Filament Yarn:
- It has high tenacity properties.
- It is difficult to dye glass fiber.
- It is brittle in nature.
- It causes irritation.
Characteristics of Carbon Filament Yarn:
- It has high tensile modulus.
- It is brittle in nature.
Characteristics of HDPE Filament Yarn: HDPE means High Density Poly Ethylene Filament yarn.
- It has very high specific modulus.
- It is very high in tenacity.
- It has low elongation properties.
- It has low fiber density.
Characteristics of PTFE Filament Yarn:
- Its chemical and thermal resistance is good.
- Low friction co-efficient resistance is another characteristic of PTFE.
Characteristics of PBI Filament Yarn:
- Excellent thermal resistance and good hand.
- It is used for the clothing of fire fighter, fuel handlers, welders, racing car drivers.
From the above we see that, technical filament yarn’s properties are higher than conventional yarn. Technical yarn is used for getting higher textile properties. Technical yarn is used in specific purpose. The price of technical filament yarn is higher than conventional yarn.