Hemp is a bast fiber plant like jute, kenaf, flax and ramie. Hemp fibers are cellulosic fibers. Hemp fibers are one of the strongest and most durable among all of the natural textile fibers. Hemp fiber shows similar properties like all of the natural bast fiber and excels in fiber length, durability, strength, absorbency, ant mildew and anti-microbial properties. Various types of decorative textile products are produced by processing this fiber. It also use for blend with other fibers and gives extra strength to the fiber.
Like all of the natural bast fiber, hemp fiber has some characteristics. Followings are the main physical and chemical properties of hemp fiber.
Physical Properties of Hemp: Physical properties of hemp fibers are given below:
- Color: The color of hemp fiber is yellowish grey to deep brown.
- Length: 4 to 6.5% feet.
- Tensile Strength: Hemp is a very strong fiber.
- Elongation at break: Hemp fibers stress easily.
- Elastic Recovery: Elastic recovery is very poor. It is less than linen fiber.
- Moisture Regain (MR %): Standard moisture regain is 12%. It is more than cotton and linen.
- Effect of Heat: Hemp fiber has an excellent resistance to degradation by heat.
- Effect of Sun Light: It has enough ability to prevent the bad affect of sun light.
- Luster: Highly bright like linen fiber.
Chemical Properties of Hemp fiber: Hemp is a natural bast fiber and it has some chemical properties. Chemical properties of the hemp fiber are given below:
- Effect of Acids: Hemp is attacked by hot dilute acids or cold concentrated acids which it disintegrates. Hemp fiber is destructed like cotton fiber in the action of acid.
- Effects of Alkalis: Hemp fiber has an excellent resistance to alkalis.
- Effect of Organic Solvent: It does not affected by the organic solvents.
- Effects of Insects: Hemp fiber is not attacked by moth-grubs or beetles.
- Effect of Micro Organism: Hemp fiber is attacked by fungi and bacteria. Mildews will feed on hemp fabric, rotting and weakling the materials. Mildews and bacteria will flourish on hemp under hot and humid condition. They can be protected by impregnation with certain types of chemicals. Copper Nepthenate is one of the chemical.
- Ability to Dye: It is not suitable to dye the hemp fiber.
Hemp is a strong fiber for this reason the product which is produced from the hemp that is also strong.